Monday, May 19, 2008

A day in the life, Today

The good thing:


We made a huge batch of tomato sauce today:
Had plenty of fodder for the compost
I am REALLY trying to keep up with that (compost) but today I just decided to 'let everything go' so right now, there are piles of compostable material in closed containers on my patio...a full load of diapers hanging outside and my wash piles are stagnating. The kitchen floor is disgusting. There has been chocolate milk, rice milk, coffee, cereal, salt, glitter glue, cooked rice, and crushed tortilla chips tossed down there today...
Earlier, there were also a good amount of crayons and books there also. C actually fell and split his bottom lip open after sliding on a crayon.


Of course, it's not gonna go away so probably sometime before the weekend, it will get to me (or I'll stick to the floor enough times) and I'll end up cleaning it up..

Here's the recipe for the tom sauce:
It is vegan and easy and tasty. My three favorite things!

Basic Tomato Sauce

5-6lbs Toms (if canned, thick puree or combo)

2TBSP olive oil

2 medium onions, chopped

4 garlic cloves minced

1 1/2 tsp salt

½ tsp sugar

½ tsp dried oregano

½ C shredded fresh basil leaves or ¾ tsp dried

Fresh ground black pepper

¼ C chopped fresh parsley

1. Peel toms and blanch to skin them, chop coarsely and set aside

2. Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat, add onions sauté until wilted, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes more.

3. Add toms, salt, sugar 3 Tabs fresh basil or all of the dried and the oregano. Raise heat slightly, bring to a boil. Boil uncovered, stirring frequently until liquid has reduced to a thick puree, 20-25 minutes. Add pepper, parsley, remaining fresh basil, and salt. Remove from heat. This sauce will keep for several days in the refrigerator or can be frozen or canned.

**Makes about 3 pints

I used about 87 Roma toms and a whole lot more herb (oregano, basil, parsley) than it calls for and added mushrooms to half of it. I have already given away 2 pints. Some of my 'friends' are denying me the opportunity to gift them. I think they're afraid my culinary skills will out shine theirs...Whatever!

At least something came out of today.

My goal tomorrow is to get out of the house before anything goes south (read:hits the floor)

I'm gonna drag them to story time and hopefully Target so I can get myself a new swim suit top. Mine is from when I was pregnant with C. It's time to move on...I hope that with a little bribing that we'll go play/swim/get wet somewhere after that, we'll be good to go..

No comments: